Designed in cooperation with Grand Idea Studio (www.grandideastudio.com), the Parallax Global Positioning System (GPS) Receiver Module is a fully integrated, low-cost unit with on-board patch antenna. Using the industry-standard SiRF StarIII chipset, the GPS Receiver Module is a complete GPS solution in a very small footprint (1.93” x 1.42”).
The GPS Receiver Module provides standard, raw NMEA0183 (National Marine Electronics Association) strings or specific user-requested data via the serial command interface, tracking of up to 20 satellites, and WAAS/EGNOS (Wide Area Augmentation System/European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service) functionality for more accurate positioning results.
The Module provides current date, time, latitude, longitude, altitude, speed, and travel direction/heading, among other data, and can be used in a wide variety of hobbyist and commercial applications, including navigation, tracking systems, mapping, fleet management, auto-pilot, and robotics.
- Fully-integrated, low-cost GPS receiver with on-board, passive patch antenna
- Single-wire serial TTL interface to BASIC Stamp, Propeller, and other microcontrollers
- Provides raw NMEA0183 strings or specifically requested user data via the command interface
- Uses an industry-standard SIRF StarIII GPS chipset
- 0.1” pin spacing for easy prototyping and integration
- Completely open-source with all design files available
- Power requirements: +5 VDC @ 65 mA (typical)
- Communication: Asynchronous serial, 4800 bps @ TTL Level
- Dimensions: 1.93 x 1.42 x 0.6 in (49 x 36 x 15 mm)
- Operating temperature: 32 to 158 °F (0 to 70 ºC)
If you purchased your GPS Module before March 2011 then you may have a V1.1 Module, which uses the V1.1 documentation and firmware available on the product page of our website. For revision information
please see the last page of this document.